Monday, December 14, 2020

Harold Budd - Rest In Peace

 

As we all know now our patron saint of heavenly music is now departed under heinous circumstances. Harold Budd passed away alone on December 8, 2020 due to complications from Covid-19 as I understand it. It's a truly awful end to what has been an awful year. 

The picture you see here is of Hal and I at the Kitchen in NYC on December 15, 2015. I was fortunate to be in attendance that night then was able to stick around for a reception where I had the good fortune to get a signature in my copy of Colorful Fortune and to chat and laugh briefly with my hero. A wonderful moment I will always cherish. 

The many tributes from Hal's fans and collaborators alike have been poignant and touching, each one shining a light on the brightness and joy Hal has brought into so many lives during his long, fruitful career. 

One such tribute I found particularly touching was that from Bill Nelson, legendary guitarist and frequent collaborator with Hal. Reading it I felt closer to Hal, like I knew him, too. Like I was able to laugh and share in fine food and good drink with him, enjoying the present moment in all it's madness and absurdity. 

Find that here: https://www.billnelson.com/post/for-harold?fbclid=IwAR21nz8kgFxkYjABU6W1VBGe1_6FHddOexqoZ2R7OgFJUrcVZlXQYl9UGjU

Harold Budd helped me from a tender age in my early teens to access a safe space within myself. He helped me to focus my mind's eye, to cultivate calm deep within my own spirit. At many times in my life when the crashing waves of circumstance were threatening to swallow me whole I have called upon this skill, upon this music to see me through. I had discovered through this man's beautiful art a state of being that has helped me to remain centered and provided me with a modicum control in a world of chaos. I am forever grateful to him. May his rest be as beautiful and complete as the music he left us with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment